What Distinguishes East Lake?
East Lake has earned a positive reputation for successful property management for several reasons:
- Organizational Longevity = Significant Institutional Expertise: East Lake has been providing property management for 35 years. We have developed significant expertise in all the technical aspects of subsidized housing management, including billing, procurement, leasing, recertification, REAC. Given the highly technical nature of this field, a company with decades of experience clearly has a competitive advantage. We have worked with a variety of clients and provided service that transformed properties. This gives us the perfect combination of experience and flexibility at all levels of the firm.
- Staff Longevity: East Lake’s executive staff has a commitment to the firm and to this work. Ms. Rhodes, Ms. Pollard, and Ms. Walton have been working at East Lake and in the field of public housing for almost twenty years each. They have worked with multiple agencies and through several administrations and are well versed in all aspects of public housing management. These individuals bring their knowledge, passion and professionalism to each new assignment.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: East Lake remains a very entrepreneurial company. Its parent company develops and owns thousands of units of housing. As an owner of housing, East Lake understands the importance of efficiency, professionalism, and 100% compliance. As an entrepreneurial firm we embrace innovation and we work aggressively with owners to solve problems using creative ideas. As our partner, the SLHA will have access to all of the firm’s expertise and institutional knowledge.
- Civic Responsibility: As an African American owned firm, East Lake is committed to being an excellent corporate citizen. Foundational to our mission is the provision of high quality living environments for all people no matter what their income or situation. We have always worked to partner with our clients in improving the quality of life for our tenants. We partner fully with our clients to use housing as a means to catalyze the improvement of communities.
East Lake’s Corporate Philosophy
- Strong Customer Service: East Lake staff are aware that our residents are our customers and as such entitled to the highest level of service. Residents should be treated professionally when they visit or call staff; repairs should be completed thoroughly and promptly; and buildings should be kept in the best possible condition.
- Mutual Accountability: In exchange for receiving good housing, residents are expected to comply with the terms of their lease, particularly timely payment and good conduct. East Lake believes in compassionate but consistent lease enforcement.
- Excellent Communication: Communication and oversight between the site level and the corporate level must be regular and clear. Similarly, East Lake’s staff stays in regular contact with owners and asset managers.
- Financial Rigor: As housing subsidies become increasingly scarce, it is important that management attend closely to the bottom line and implement fiscally responsible policies and procedures that will ensure the properties’ economic viability.
- Professional Staff: East Lake’s team has decades of experience in residential property management, particularly subsidized housing. They pursue regular training and continuing education. Many of our staff have been with us for a number of years and have advanced through the ranks due to competence and drive.
Key to the success of any public-private partnership is a shared mission and constant communication. East Lake is very interested in establishing a productive relationship with the St Louis Housing Authority. We can guarantee that a commitment to fulfilling SLHA’s mission will be established at the most senior level of the corporation and translated through a robust infrastructure to each staff member at the site level. The Project Executive is a direct report to the President and Chairman and she is in daily communication with her supervisors. East Lake’s disciplined, mission-driven, team approach to the SLHA assignment will mean that consistent quality is delivered at each site. It will mean that SLHA has the information and performance that it requires from each site. And it will mean that SLHA can move forward with its mission knowing that East Lake will understand and fulfill the requirements with consistency and professionalism.